Have a question about Google Ads? We’ve got you covered with FAQs and advertising resources.
What is Google Ads?
Google Ads (formerly Google AdWords and Google AdWords Express) is an online advertising solution that businesses use to promote their products and services on Google Search, YouTube and other sites across the web. Google Ads also allows advertisers to choose specific goals for their ads, like driving phone calls or website visits. With a Google Ads account, advertisers can customise their budgets and targeting, and start or stop their ads at any time.
What are Google AdWords and Google AdWords Express?
Google AdWords and Google AdWords Express are the previous names for the new, improved Google Ads.
How does Google Ads work?
Google Ads works by displaying your ad when people search online for the products and services you offer. By leveraging smart technology, Google Ads helps get your ads in front of potential customers at just the moment they’re ready to take action.
- You start by selecting your goal, like getting more visitors to your website or more phone calls to your business.
- Next you select the geographic area where your ad should be shown. It can be a small radius around your business or much broader, like cities, counties or entire countries.
- Finally, you’ll craft your ad and set your monthly budget cap.
Once your ad is approved, it can appear whenever users in your target area search for a product or service like yours. You only pay when users engage with your ad, like clicking your ad or calling your business.
What are the different types of Google Ads?
There are three basic types of Google Ads:
- Search Network campaigns – usually text form, these ads can show on Google Search results pages when someone searches for a product or service that’s similar to yours
- Display Network campaigns – usually image form, these ads appear on websites or apps that your customers visit
- Video campaigns – usually 6 or 15 second videos, these ads show right before or during YouTube content
Learn about additional advanced campaign types, including Shopping campaigns, App Campaigns and more here.
What is CPC (Cost Per Click) or PPC (Pay Per Click) Advertising?
CPC (Cost Per Click) or PPC (Pay Per Click) means you only pay for an ad if someone clicks on it.
Other advertising models include:
- Cost Per Impression, where you pay based on how many times your ad was shown (not clicked)
- Cost Per Engagement, where you pay when a user completes a predefined engagement (like watching your video ad)
How much does Google Ads cost?
Your Google Ads cost is determined by your budget settings. Google Ads gives you complete control over your budget. You are only charged when users interact with your ad, like clicking to visit your website or to call your business. The cost of a click or call can vary based on a few factors. Learn more here.
How do I start advertising on Google?
To get started with Google Ads, click here to sign up. Our guided setup process will walk you through creating and launching your first ad. If you need help signing up, our Google Ads experts are available to set up your new account and can even assist in creating your first campaign at no additional cost.
What are Smart campaigns?
Smart campaigns are an advertising solution designed to help small businesses promote their products and services online. Smart campaigns let advertisers choose their business goals and where they want to advertise. Google then uses machine learning to deliver results tailored to those goals. These campaigns use smart technology to monitor and improve the performance of your ads continuously, so you can spend more time on other business tasks.
I don’t have much time. Will Google Ads work for me?
We recommend spending at least 30 minutes per week reviewing your ad results and making adjustments as needed. To save time, you can also manage your campaigns and get recommendations to improve them right from your smartphone with the Google Ads app on iOS and Android.